Sunday 19 August 2012

Farewell my friend.

I cant believe that its been two months since I last wrote anything here. I seem to have hurled myself into a world of quizzes and chatting about rubbish on twitter, and temporarily lost touch with the real world. 

If you are a first time visitor please have a quick look here for a brief outline. I will write more about Mum later in the week, this is about my best friend Snapper. If you havent met my dog before I wrote a bit about her here  and here. They are only short blogs and they give you a bit of an outline. 

Doing her favourite thing-lying down.


Shortly after all that happened she developed a tumor on her right front leg, which rapidly grew then burst open. We couldn`t chance an operation as her back legs were far from perfect and the loss of a front would finish her. So with advice from the vet it was left. It didn't look very pretty but it didnt give her any discomfort. Now, 12 months down the line it has started to grow at a rather alarming rate and the vet informs us it is spreading under the skin also.

So this week we have taken the heart breaking decision to have her put to sleep. We agreed that while she had a decent quality of life we would do anything in our power to keep her happy and comfortable. Since the tumor has started to spread again she has lost her spark. This may sound silly to a non doggy person but I know she has had enough. In thirteen years we have haven't been apart for more than a week, and that has only happened once so I am pretty sure I know, but that doesnt make it any easier.

I had Snapper from 8 weeks. She helped me through a physically and emotionally abusive relationship, she kept me sane living on my own in a caravan for a while, and kept me warm when there was ice on the inside of the walls at night. She helped me when I moved down to investigate mums problems and through the diagnosis of her dementia. She was my confidant as I started to think about dating and listened to me reading countless emails from online dating sites, and eventually welcomed the wonderful Sarah with open paws. 

So please spare a thought or two for my best friend this week. I wont mention when it happens, I may just tell a tale or two from our years for old times sake.

This is my favourite picture of her in her favourite place.
The beach near our caravan at Meols on the wirral



5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that Jon, dogs are truly wonderful companions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your beloved Snapper. Gets to you how they are so much more than dogs - they are such dear friends. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear about Snapper, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, So sorry to hear about Snapper - you will miss her like mad but slowly you will be able to look back at all the wonderful memories you have,. Suexx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met your protector a few years ago,
    Every move you made, she would follow.
    Sat by your side with a curious eye.
    Figuring out who she would let by.
    A beautiful girl with markings so rare,
    and doey eyes full of love and care.
    When mum told me you had her she was overjoyed,
    it certainly scored you some brownie points :)
    So much more than a dog, this i understand,
    the saying has never been truer of mans best friend.
    A Fighter till the end with a smile on her face,
    she fooled us once and then got back in the race.
    I know how special snapper is and how much she'll be missed,
    i remember the time when i went through just this.
    Her body may go but the memories will stay,
    be thank full and blessed that she chose to come your way.
    It certainly was a dogs life for dear old snaps,
    ill miss her at the table waiting for snacks.
    She helped you through hard times and was there for the best,
    But now its time for this soldier to lay her head to rest.

    Thinking of you, lots and lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete